|The lives of me?
||[Jun. 9th, 2006|06:59 pm]
I suppose I can write an introduction. This really just reminds me of -- you know the first day of the new semester at uni, when you're sitting in a new tutorial and they decide you should know each other, so the teacher rips off sheets of paper and tell you to pick one. |
Well, if you know the trick, you know what's coming. But when I was a first year and sitting in Intro Journalism, I didn't know what was coming. I took eight pieces of paper. I ended up being the first one to go, and the teacher says "Okay, Hugh, how many pieces do you have?" I told him I had eight, and he smirked at me and replied, "Now tell us eight things about yourself."
I could've died.
But now I'm used to talking to people (and my brothers aren't here to beat me up if I say something too feminine), so here we go. Eight things about me.
1. I'm an actor. I've done a couple things in Australia on stage and in the movies (and a couple of TV shows, too), and in the last few years I've been working in the States. If you recognise me, it's probably from playing Wolverine in the X-Men films. That's great - I love the character! - but please, please don't ask me to keep the muttonchops! That's crossing a line even a dedicated guy like me doesn't want to go over.
2. You probably can't stop me from dancing. I do mean that, trust me. Wolverine has done some stunning cheorography in scenes that (probably) won't make it to air.
3. I have two children, and they're the most precious gifts life has ever given me. Oscar turned six last month. He's adopted (both my children are), and he loves bugs as much as I love Shakespeare. He's a mixed-race child, and every word he says brings a smile to my face. My baby girl is named Ava. We adopted her officially last month, though she's been living with us since she was born - she'll be one year old in July. She enchants me more and more every day.
4. I have a coffee addiction - but I can't handle the adrenalin rush it gives me when I perform! So, I'm constantly on and off the wagon. If you ask my wife, she'll tell you I'm the most bad-tempered person in the world when I've cut myself off from coffee, but I think that's an exaggeration. After all, she never met my year five maths teacher.
5. I can drink a can of beer in 1.2 seconds flat. It's true what they say about Australians - we're better drinkers than you.
6. I can kick anyone's ass in a yo-yo competition. I've got moves like you wouldn't believe!
7. Back to more serious things (but only for a minute). I'm a pretty spiritual person. I believe in karma and destiny and reincarnation. I love the philosophy behind zen Buddhism and nothing has ever opened my eyes like transcendental meditation has. It makes me calm and happy, and, well, it gives me some peace and quiet in what's a pretty chaotic life!
8. I really want to to do a shameless plug here (Go and see the upcoming movies HAPPY FEET, FLUSHED AWAY, SCOOP and THE FOUNTAIN, or if you're in Australia during August and September, catch me on stage playing THE BOY FROM OZ), but that'd be a little self-serving of me, wouldn't it? So, let's just go with something else: Not only have I been caught filming a naked scene by an audience of women waving dollar bills, one of those women just happened to be my mate Jimmy Marsden's mother. And that, kids, is our lesson for today: Insist on a closed set for naked scenes!
Now I'm pretty sure someone else needs to tell how many pieces of paper they picked up...